
Dr. Phil Baird asked this question when he presented at the Streeter Symposium and I have deemed it my vocation to explore the foods of North Dakota. From oatmeal pie, to bierocks, to Pie Day at the sons of Norway, I have been committed to exploring all things culinary. I know, my life is very difficult. Our first stop on our great pilgramage to Eastend, was a great family restaurant called Fried (pronounced 'freed') Family restaurant where I dined on this scrumptious meal of kraut and keilbasa and knefla (potato dumplings). When I licked the plate till my tongue hurt, the waitress offered us a pumpkin turnover with ice cream. How could I say no? She called it something that sounded like: fleulkafsoiafda. I am not sure I spelled it right, but I ate every last bite without stopping to contemplate its meaning or purpose or spelling, just enjoying its flavor and the kindness with which it was offered to me, for free by the Fried sisters. The spirit of the food flavored it nicely.
No comments:
Post a Comment