Thursday, August 7, 2008

Family time and Moonshine


When you see a really beautiful moon, my sister Kate one time mentioned, do you ever feel guilty the moment that you turn your eyes to go to bed? I mean, when is it okay to stop looking at a beautiful thing? In these past two weeks of travel through a beautiful part of the world, part of my family and I have had the luxuries of eating good foods, looking at beautiful things and enjoying each others' company. I think that is why the Emily character in Our Town really annoyed me last night; she seemed a bit preachy about how often we do not stop and really realize how wonderful the world is. Maybe Thornton Wilder was onto something, and perhaps his reminder of appreciative and grateful living from time to time is a good thing. But Emily seemed to flail about the stage, a bit whiny, just before my parents and brother and I are about to go back to our normal life cycle and she pissed me off. Because, sometimes recognizing the world's beauty needs to stop so the world can keep turning and being simply beautiful, instead of reflectively beautiful. It has been a beautiful trip.

No comments: