Rough Draft: a piece about desire and gifts and True Love...
I suspect that some of my dearest friends hold one resolution on my behalf: find her a man. I suspect this because I have very good friends and they would do me this enormous favor of not having to wish it for myself, alone. That makes my desire classier, when it is housed in their hearts. 'Oh stop, go on' I can can feign in response. Stop. Go on. Push pull. Quiet yawp. I have heard rumor (and the worst kind: weird Christian rumor) that the Days of Christmas isn't nonsense but a coded Christian allegory. This rumor asserts, on various un-researched websites, that the 10 Lords a Leaping represent the 10 commandments. Follow these rules, this whispered rumor exclaims, and you will find a lord with whom to leap. This desire I have sure does make for a heavy lens with which to view the world. I want to go back to yesterday, when I was just a lady dancing with my eight friends. Or even better, milking with other maidens- just this past Thursday. If I can get through this day, through this unmet desire- the pipers will keep on piping and the drummers will allow me to forget it all. And I can whirl back into gratitude for all that my true love has given to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment